40 Book Challenge
Research shows that children who read acheive better in school especially on Standarized Testing. Students not only need to read but they need to enjoy reading. Assigning students to read books is a tool that is used often in schools. While it is important to read certain particular books, the best way for students to read is by pure enjoyment. If children can choose what they want to read they will develop a love for reading. What one person likes in the form of a book may not be what another person enjoys.
The boys and girls in Room 22 will participate in a 40 book challenge this school year. The boys and girls will choose books that they wish to read. I will assign a certain number of books for each literary genre. My goal is to get them reading!!! Students can read for the challenge during our morning reading workshop or at home. My hope is that they will want to read more at home too.
So what are the requirements?
1. Students will read 40 books during the school year.
2. Students may choose any book they want as long as it meets the requirement of the literary genres.
3. BFF and AR books are allowed.
4. Students will chart their progress on our class poster.
5. Students will participate in Reading conferences with me throughout the year to discuss their progress.
6. Students will log their books on our Room 22 40 Book Challenge. Under each genre category, students will write the name of the book they read.
click on the books above to view our 30 Book Challenge record sheet
I have every confidence in the student's abilities to reach the 40 book goal.